What is Ordinance or Law coverage?

“Thank you for the quick action. Cowdell Insurance always gives me great service and I real...” —Rick H. more

You may have heard of the term ordinance or law coverage in relation to commercial property insurance, but many people are unaware that this type of coverage can also be a part of your homeowners' insurance policy. Ordinance or law insurance covers the cost to rebuild a home that has been destroyed, as well as the cost to upgrade a home so that it meets the most up-to-date building codes after a covered loss.

Old Farmhouse

Do I need ordinance or law coverage?

For the safety of those living in your home, it’s important to stay up to date on any code changes pertaining to weather, fire safety, plumbing, wiring, and handicap accessibility. Paying out of pocket for renovations to comply with new mandatory state codes can be costly. With an ordinance or law coverage policy, you are covered for upgrading your home based on any state-mandated criteria.

Types of coverages

There are two types of coverages that fall under ordinance or law insurance:

Cost to upgrade: In the event that your home is fully or partially destroyed by a covered loss event, ordinance or law coverage will help to cover the costs of updating your house to ensure it meets current building codes.

Rebuilding expenses: If your home needs to be replaced, repaired, or upgraded after a loss, ordinance or law insurance will help pay for the efforts needed to meet current building laws or ordinances.

How ordinance or law coverage works

In order to determine if you need ordinance or law coverage, consider the age of your home. If you live in an older home and experience a loss, for instance, you may be more likely to have to upgrade to current building codes compared to living in a newer home that already meets up-to-date requirements.

Free Quote in Minutes

Find out how much you could be saving, at no cost to you.

Call 435-688-7283

Call 435-688-7283

Send a quick message

Insurance and Safety Tips

More Insurance Articles

States we Write Insurance In

Alaska   Arizona   California   Colorado   Florida   Idaho   Maryland   Michigan   Minnesota   Montana   Nevada   New Mexico   Oregon   South Carolina   Texas   Utah   Washington   Wyoming

Insurance companies we represent

Foremost Insurance Group logo United Heritage Property and Casualty Company logo Sublimity Insurance logo United Insurance Group logo CUIC Casualty Underwriters Insurance Company logo Travelers logo Progressive logo Dairyland logo Stillwater Insurance Group logo The Hartford logo Safeco Insurance logo Main Street America Insurance logo ASI American Strategic Insurance logo Kemper logo